Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nostalgia for Alcoholics

I learned once in a Psychology class that we are capable of unconsciously associating smells, with specific feelings. Consider the smell of pumpkin pie and how you immediately think of family. (Now, how you actually feel about your family is a whole 'nother story, and not in any way associated with your nose.)

I wonder if we subconsciously associate tastes with feelings too? Like the taste of chocolate milk immediately brings me back to grade school. Mom would send me with 50 cents to get a little carton of 2% milk to go with my lunch, but I always got chocolate milk instead. And lied about it, naturally.

So now, when I choose beer over fruit juice, I don't have to lie about it anymore, but wouldn't a trip in the way-back machine might be nice once in a while. Maybe this will help.


No comments:

Post a Comment